A Day Does Not Do It Justice

Tuesday evening I arrived in the 16°C beautiful Barcelona. Leah and I were reunited under the Arc de Triumf, fitting since we have our very own one of these in France as well. No problems getting from Girona to Barcelona (not to worry Mom, almost everyone was taking the bus as well), and the cheaper flight was definitely worth the 12 euro bus ride into the city. It was so good to see her. We were saying the last time we were face to face was in late July. It is so ironic that here in Europe, even though we are a country apart, we are closer to one another than in the states.

After our joyful reunion, Leah walked me around Plaza Cataluna and La Rambla for a quick minute before we headed to her home for the semester. The apartment is beautiful- the most beautiful home I had seen since coming to Europe and it was a reminder of how life can be if you work hard enough. I was greeted my Leah’s mom for the semester, Monica, who is the most incredible woman. She owns a jewelry store near her home, is 60 years old and looks about 45, and lives in the same apartment building as her two brothers (very similar to Italian culture). She is a genuinely kind woman who showed me incomparable hospitality. She cooked us all dinner- a delicious meat wrapped in a sort of lettuce, potato chips, Spanish ham, and wine-, and I struggled to communicate with her and express my gratitude. It was very frustrating not being able to say one full sentence to her, and I found the same frustration throughout my stay. I could not communicate in the slightest bit. However, this language barrier in no way took away from my love of Barcelona. Leah and I headed to bed, me from sheer exhaustion and she because a full day of class was looming.

Wednesday, my only full day in Barcelona, I met Leah in Cataluna in between her classes that she decided to skip for me. Monica made me fresh squeezed orange juice, and I had a long, hot shower before heading out the door- I could definitely get used to life as Monica’s daughter. Leah was the perfect tour guide, and she showed me all around the city that she has made her home. We saw the beach, a gorgeous open market, Boqueria, which I would live in if I could, Gaudi’s apartment, the cathedral, the Arc de Triumf and the surrounding park, Leah’s two schools, and just took in the feel of the beautiful city. It is without a doubt collectively the most beautiful city I have visited. It has this tropical feel to it, due to its proximity to the beach, which I have not experienced yet. After our tour, we grabbed sandwiches at Leah’s normal spot, and she planned out a route for me to follow while she returned to class for the rest of the afternoon. I was an aware and independent traveler for the rest of the afternoon. I first saw Dahlia’s extraordinary church that was never finished because he died mid-construction. It is massive and just stunning. Next stop, via train, was the breathtaking Miro Museum, which serves as an art museum, that sits atop the city of Barcelona. The building is enormous, and it offers views of the entire city stretches beneath it. Directly behind the Palace sits the Olympic Stadium that was used when Barcelona hosted the 1992 games. I was in all of my glory, standing in the arena that at one time housed the greatest talent in the world. Following these big sites, I did some souvenir and clothing (I needed some sweaters for my next stop to the frigid Prague) shopping on La Rambla while waiting for Leah to finish class. We met at our rendezvous point, the fountains of Catatluna, and then got on the train to Leah’s home and Monica for another delicious dinner. We had a fresh salad, Spanish omelet, and more wine. A Spanish omelet is arguably one of the most delicious things I have had the pleasure of eating. Monica made hers with onion and potato, and I could have easily devoured the entire thing myself. After dinner Leah and I decided to go for some Sangria and what somewhat resembled chips and salsa at a restaurant near her home- I was in Spain after all. The Sangria was delicious, and it was second only to my conversation with Leah.

Thursday morning I rose early to head to the airport and was greeted by Monica who was holding a ham and cheese sandwich and, what else, freshly squeezed orange juice. Leah walked me to the train station, and we parted with a see you soon (we will be going to Italy together during Easter break, and we might even see one another before then because I am dying to take in more of Barcelona) rather than a goodbye. It was a most successful trip and now Prague, David, and Casey were waiting.