Le Premier Jour

Today marked the first day of schoola at the Bordeaux School of Management. I was a little bit nervous walking into the classroom this morning because I had absolutely no idea what to expect, and we all know how much I love the unknown. Class began at 8:30 this morning, and I woke up at 7:30 to begin my first "normal" morning. Since we have no microwave, I boiled water on the stove to mix into my Active Lifestyle oatmeal(yes, I have brought a piece of you with me Case).  I did my hair, shocking I know, dressed, and then headed over to BEM with Jody, Mary, and Jemma. Mary and I are in the same class together, so we were able to share in our nervousness together. The class we are taking this sequence- we take one class at a time here, one class every three weeks for five sets of three weeks, so it is fifteen hours- is a French language class for exchange students. When we got in there I was pleased to find that I knew several other students in the class, so that was a little comforting. Our teacher walked in, and we began class. She outlined the course schedule, we all had the opportunity to introduce ourselves, and then we started learning about Europe, the government, and all things pertaining to the french government. She handed out a set of three worksheets that asked questions about Bordeaux, France, and Europe in general, and I literally only knew one answer: Nicolas Sarkozy is the president of France! It was slightly embarrassing, and it just goes to show how little we learn about other countries or even continents in the United States. We got one thirty minute at 10:00, and after that we had to split up into groups according to home country and give a presentation on our country's government. Mary and I are the only Americans in the class, so we were on our own to explain the government in french! I made it through, not so eloquently, but we are determined to learn a lot and work hard. We were already assigned homework, so I'm not sure that is the best sign! It is definitely going to be a challenge for me, and everyone else in the class is far better than me in French, but I am mostly hoping to really improve my language skills. If this class can help me do that, it will be a success.

Class ended at 12:00, and I headed back to DomoFrance to change for a quick run around Talence. Running is such a great way to explore a new place without having to walk around cluelessly, so I decided to go in a new direction today. The weather was beautiful, and I found some new restaurants and grocery stores. After I got back, a group of about ten exchange students and I decided to venture into the heart of Bordeaux to shop at Auchan. How to explain Auchan... it is a giant Walmart with everything you could ever want in it. It is three stories full of groceries, home supplies, clothing, everything. We had to take two trains to get there, but it was a stroll compared to Ikea. Jody and I still needed several things for the apartment, including bleach to combat the mold, so we were thrilled to be going to Auchan. Who knew that bath towels and kitchen pans could make a person so happy. The trip took a little over three hours, but it was most definitely worth it. The apartment is coming together slowlt but surely, in large part to Jody. We did not have shower curtain for a while, so the water was just splashing all over the bathroom! (Also, it is not your American shower, it is just a shower head on the wall in the middle of the bathroom that turns on when you plug the sink, very Euro chic!) She managed to rig a shower curtain to the ceiling and then lower it to the ground with rope. I will have to take pictures to fully capture its essence.

The remainder of the night was spent finishing homework, cooking dinner in my semblance of a kitchen, eggs with a french baguette, repairing Mary's speakers so we can listen to music, it was all Jody-she has a gift with technology unlike myself-, and watching Jody complete her work on the shower. Day two tomorrow. Bonne nuit all.